Thursday, December 6, 2007

Rubber Stamp Madness - 1979

sg Rob Kelly Sometime around 1978 my parents bought me this, an awesome Marrvel Superheroes Stamp Pad Set.

Even though I was always more of a DC kid, Marvel had some really cool merchandise around this time, and in a lot of cases it was better-looking than the DC stuff. While DC seemed to let its licensors pretty much do what they wanted, Marvel's stuff always used very dynamic poses and art right from the comics(like the shots of Spidey, Hulk, Cap, and IronMan you see on this package).

Unfortunately, my parents generosity in buying me the thing really didn't pay off for them, since the minute we moved into our new house in New Jersey, I spent a fun afternoon vandalizing our new house:
sg ...as a kid doing this seemed totally harmless, yet I look at it now and say "What the hell was I thinking?" It's not like we didn't have paper in the house, and maybe, just maybe, my parents didn't want their new basement decorated with Silver Surfer and Mighty Thor stock art.

No comments: