Monday, November 12, 2007

Time Machine - 1982

sgRob Kelly One of the most magical things about visiting my first comic shop(the aforementioned "El Dorado" in Cherry Hiil, NJ) was getting to see for the first time, in person, tons and tons of old comics. Sure, seeing covers of old books in the Overstreet Price Guide was nice, but it was a revelation to see some for real.

One of the things I would occasionally do is just search out the oldest comic I could get for the money I had, which wasn't much after buying my regular books like Justice League, Star Wars, and Brave and the Bold, etc.

But one time I came across this comic, and even though I couldn't open it up to look at it, this cover pretty much gives you all the info you need to mentally carbon-date it.

Once I got it home, it felt like I had taken a trip back in time--to 1945, to be exact--and even though the content bored me to tears(it was mostly stories about football--I used comics to get away from stuff like sports, for pete's sake!) it was still an amazing read. It was the first of many, many purchases I would make in my life, exploring the world of comics that existed before I picked up my first book.

1 comment:

Wich2 said...

Great story, Rob.

I try to do that kinda stuff on occasion, too...

(I read Charlton Hot Rod books, for just that type of fix!)

...a big downside of Comics today, is that their world is so much smaller than it used to be (can be?)

-Craig W.