Monday, October 8, 2007

Which One Of These Is Not Like The Other? - 1979

sgRob Kelly One of my most beloved memories of reading comics was back when my Dad would take my sister Sue and I out to the movies. This was where I got to see every cool movie of the times--the Star Wars trilogy, Superman, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Flash Gordon, you name it.

Anyway, one week we were seeing movie in a theater inside a mall, and we had planned to see 101 Dalmations(which I guess was a re-issue...remember when they did those?). So we get to the theatre and...we either misjudged the time, or it was sold out, or whatever...we weren't going to see it. My Dad and sister realized they wanted/were willing to see another movie about to start...Kramer Vs. Kramer.

As I'm sure everyone knows, KvK wasn't exactly a kids movie...it was, in fact, a brutal depiction of the ravages divorce can inflict on a family. I don't remember a Burger King drinking glass tie-in.

Of course, I had no interest in seeing such a movie. So my Dad, not above bribery, offered to take me to the Woolworth's just across the way and buy me some comics if I was willing to see the movie. I don't think he had to ask twice...offer me comics, I'd have sat outside in the cold for two hours.

Anyway, the beloved memory is that at this Woolworth's is where I came across the above two comics--DC Super-Stars #17 and
Limited Collectors' Edition #C52, The Best of DC. I may have gotten more, but these books quickly became two of my all-time favorites--DCSS deals with the origin of the Huntress and various doings on Earth-2(even as a kid, I always loved Earth-2 stories) and The Best of DC book featured all kinds of cool stories...plus it was a treasury. I don't think I need to say any more, do I?

I've kept this story in my head all these years a Wonderful Comics Memory, when a missed movie led me to getting two of my all-time favorite comics.

Problem is...it didn't happen that way. The above two comics came out in 1977, and Kramer Vs. Kramer came out in 1979. While the treasuries did hang around, they didn't hang around that long, and even so there's no way that issue of DC Super-Stars was still on sale two years later. So I must have gotten these two books a lot earlier, and had gotten different ones as the bribe. Weird when reality doesn't jibe with what you just know to be true.

So even if the comics I got in 1979 weren't that memorable, the event wasn't a total loss...unbeknownst to my Dad, Kramer Vs. Kramer features a famous full-frontal nude scene(with JoBeth Williams), which had to have been the first time I ever saw anything like that. I had gotten a glimpse--even if I didn't understand or care about it at the time--of something that would eventually supplant my comics as my #1 interest.

(Almost.)

No comments: