Saturday, October 13, 2007

The March of Dime - 1981

sgRob Kelly I was driving with my Dad, and I begged him to stop at the nearest 7-11 so I could get a comic book. I was looking to mainline some four-color(I just made that phrase up, pass it on!) and I wanted to get a comic, any comic. I had 50c on me, so I knew I could get at least one.

My Dad agreed, and I ran into the store and after a quick scan grabbed a title I always enjoyed, DC Comics Presents. This was a new issue, and the George Perez cover, as usual, was all I needed to be convinced to pick it up.

I went to the counter, handed over my money, and the 7-11 guy said "that'll be 60 cents."

Wha?

Yes, in fact, since the previous month's books, DC had raised their price from 50 to 60 cents, and in my mad rush to grab a comic, I didn't even notice the price increase.

Crestfallen, I marched back outside and gave my Dad my sob story(with real sobs!) about how the price went up and I didn't have enough money and I really wanted the book and normally I wouldn't ask but...

My Dad, not wanting to hear this pathetic tale any longer, uncomplainingly handed me another dime and I went back in and the bought the book. Victory, and the comic, was mine.

But I walked back out of that 7-11 just a little less innocent than I had been going in.

5 comments:

CaptainJersey said...

I remember the 20 to 25 cent change in 1975. Devastating. My one dollar allowance used to be good for 5 books, and then - only 4. I think I stopped buying Our Fighting Forces because of the price increase. You can hold me personally accountable for thet book's demise.

rob! said...

ouch! that took guts to admit.

Doug Slack said...

How geeky am I that I too have a memory of that price increase? I used to hit 7-11 once a month with two bucks and walk out with four comics. One day I learned a sad lesson in inflation when the teenage clerk told me my four comics were 2.40. To this day, I still remember staring at that Marvel Two-In-One in stark disbelief. It was The Thing Meets Sasquatch. I guess a match up of that size was worth the extra dime.

rob! said...

amazing how comic book price increases leave a scar that never completely heals....

Rick said...

I use to say "Shoot me up with four color print." Boy some of the weird things you can remember saying.
By the way I didn't see you or anyone in the comments mentioning adding tax to the price. Don't they charge tax on comic books where you guys are? They always have where I live. When the prices go up I always have to remember to mentally add 6 percent to the price.