Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Hairdresser Comics - 1976

sgOne of my earliest memories of reading comics was when my Mom would take me with her to the Neshaminy Mall(located in southeastern Pennsylvania, for those of you outside the tri-state area) when she got her hair done since it was the summer and I was too young to be left at home.

To give me something to do while I waited, she would take me to the bookstore(or was it a newsstand?) and buy me a comic or two, and this is one of the ones I distinctly remember getting--the Famous First Edition of Flash Comics #1, at the wonderful treasury-size.

I was so enraptured by this book that I have another memory, of some of the other women in the place marveling to my Mom how well-behaved I was, because I pretty much just sat in the plastic chair and didn't make a peep. Such was the power of a treasury-sized comic to my then five-year-old mind.